Everton have endured a disappointing 2022-23 season so far. They are currently 17th in the Premier League table, having secured only 14 points from a possible 45. The Blues blew the opportunity of entering the winter with optimism as they suffered a 3-0 loss at Bournemouth.
However, the good news for English boss Frank Lampard is that he will have the majority of his squad on hand to sort things out at Goodison Park as only four players have been named in the 2022 World Cup squads.
1- Jordan Pickford
Jordan Pickford has been the first-choice goalkeeper for England under Gareth Southgate. The 28-year-old was part of the Three Lions team in the 2018 World Cup when they made it to the semi-final. While he was also their main goalkeeper in the Euro 2020 when England lost the final to Italy on penalties.
His selection for the 2022 World Cup shouldn’t come as a surprise for anyone. Pickford has been excellent for Everton this season, starting 14 league games and earning three clean sheets to his name.
2- Conor Coady
Conor Coady has also earned a place on the plane to Qatar. He has been highly impressive at Goodison this season, despite the Toffees’ struggles in the English top-flight.
However, the 29-year-old is behind Harry Maguire and John Stones in the pecking order. He is unlikely to feature in Gareth Southgate’s starting XI but might make a substitute appearance or two.
3- Idrissa Gana Gueye
Idrissa Gana Gueye has been an important figure for Senegal in the last few years. He could become the country’s most-capped player if his side make a deep run.
The Lions of Teranga will start their World Cup campaign by taking on Netherlands before facing Qatar and Ecuador in Group A.
4- Amadou Onana
Amadou Onana is only 21-years-old and has earned two caps for Belgium. He joined Everton in the summer in a reported £33 million deal and has made 14 league appearances for the Toffees so far. However, the talented defensive midfielder is unlikely to start any game for his country in the prestigious tournament. This World Cup might be more of an exposure type of tournament for the 21-year-old.
Latest Everton News
- Everton Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Everton vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Man Utd & Tottenham to determine Frank Lampard’s fate at Everton in October
- Everton Transfers Season 2022-23: Richarlison’s departure, Onana & McNeil signs
- Everton v Arsenal Pre-Season Friendly: Date, Kick-off Time & How To Stream
- Everton’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Everton Transfer News – Premier League striker and Serie A centre-back in Lampard’s crosshairs
- Arsenal vs Everton Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Everton vs Leicester City Preview & Richarlison Transfer Update
- Everton April 2022 Preview: West Ham and Liverpool bookend a tough month for Lampard