Everton Football Club have released a statement on Tuesday, urging the six Premier League clubs involved in the European Super League to withdraw their interest.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham released a statement of intent to form a European Super League on Sunday.
The decision has been met with widespread backlash, with a number of players, fans and clubs criticising the decision.
The current plans could even see those six teams leave the Premier League.
Now, Everton Football Club have condemned the actions of those six clubs, criticising their ‘preposterous arrogance’.
In a statement on their website, Everton explained: ‘Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.
‘Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests. Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game. Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table. Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.’
Everton then ask for the six clubs to withdraw their statement of intent, before reminding the owners of their responsibilities.
‘We respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now,’ the statement continued.
‘Finally, we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.
‘We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.’
Everton News view – A welcome sight
We commend Everton for their strong condemnation of the European Super League.
The Blues are a club based on tradition and heritage, two values the ‘big six’ have let fall by the wayside this week.
In a separate interview, owner Farhad Moshiri has also condemned the actions of the clubs involved.
To have an owner that not only provides the funds to push the club forward, but also understands his role as a custodian of the club, is something Everton fans are very fortunate to have.
It is something we must treasure, and as we aim to push this club forward over the next five years, we should never forget where we came from.
Latest Everton News
- Preview: Crystal Palace vs Everton – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Everton – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Manchester United – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Everton receive boost in race for Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi
- A Guide to Everton’s Diet and Conditioning
- Everton face Serie A competition for El Bilal Toure signing
- Everton in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Dyche aims for big turnaround
- Everton fans want Farhad Moshiri to remove chairman Bill Kenwright
- Preview: Everton vs Bournemouth – prediction, team news, line-ups